Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Out for Blood review

 Description: Hunter Wild is the youngest in a long line of elite vampire hunters, a legacy that is both a blessing and a curse at the secret Helios-Ra Academy, where she excels at just about everything. Thanks to her friendship with Kieran Black, Hunter receives a special invitation to attend the coronation of Helena Drake, and for the first time, she sees the difference between vampires that must be hunted and vampires that can become friends—or even more. When students at the academy fall victim to a mysterious illness, Hunter suspects they are under attack from within. She will need someone she can trust to help her save the future of Helios-Ra . . . help that shockingly comes in the form of Quinn Drake, a drop-dead gorgeous vampire. Who said senior year would be easy?


My Thoughts: At first, I was scared to read this. I'd heard about this series but asked for a copy at a time when I forgot that it was the 3rd book in a series I'd never read. I have unsaid rules which include the Don't read a series out of order rule. And except for The Ghosts of Ashbury High (I read that series out of order by accident), I'd been doing a fantastic job of abiding by my own rules. "I do it all the time" was the statement mom used to calm me down and convince me that it'd be ok to read this book. The main reason I like to read books in order is for two reasons 1) It's one of those series where you won't understand ANYTHING if you don't read book 1 and 2 first. Or 2) It's the same setting with different characters but includes information I didn't want to know unless I'd read it in the book it was initially discovered in. The night my mom looked at me like a weirdo for taking things so seriously, I decided that since Out for Blood was in category number 2, I should just relax and try it.

Aside from avoiding a couple sentences every few chapters, I was able to read Out for Blood without feeling guilty for not starting with book 1. I don't know much about the other couples so this statement might not be true later on, but I think Quinn and Hunter are  and will be my favorite couple in this series! They're both badass, humorous, and sexy! I love the dialogue that takes place when these two are in the same room, or even when they're just thinking about the other. But they weren't the only great things about this book. I loved the supporting characters. Sometimes side characters barely have any personality, or sometimes they just don't get enough light shed on them during the story so you end up not liking them because you know nothing about them. I know some of the supporting characters were main characters in the first two books, but this book makes me want to know more about them just from their witty humor, or their bright and unique personalities.

As a series, I am so excited to find a new set of books that deal with a group or family, and goes through every person who somehow all find love, even when they weren't looking for it. It reminds me of a YA type Black Dagger Brotherhood. And if you've been following my blog for a while, you should know (probably, and if you didn't know, now you know) that being compared to BDB is a great thing. This means that I simultaneously want the 4th book NOW and need to get the 1st two books as soon as possible!


Random great thing about this book: I love that Quinn and Hunter are such strong characters. I don't like to use that word too often but I really think they are. My reason for saying this is that they were ok without each other, but they were strong enough (eventually) and perfectly fine with finding out that they need one other.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, I can't believe you have read this series. You must read the first one! This is one of my favorite series and I love all of the books. Lucy is my favorite character *the human friend* She is to be featured in book four and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I can't believe I haven't read the whole series either! I'm hoping to get the 1st two books really soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm shocked you read the first one first. It took me til the second book to the get the information down pack. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...