Saturday, September 25, 2010

Let Me In (thoughts on remake)


Description: Let the Right One In (Swedish: Låt den rätte komma in), also known as Let Me In, is a 2004 vampire fiction novel by Swedish writer John Ajvide Lindqvist. The story centers on the relationship between a 12-year-old boy, Oskar, and a centuries-old vampire child, Eli. It takes place in Blackeberg, a working class suburb of Stockholm, in the early 1980s. The book focuses on the darker side of humanity, dealing with issues such as bullying, drugs, theft, pedophilia, prostitution and murder as well as the obvious supernatural themes.

My Thoughts: I keep on hoping I’m wrong in thinking that this isn’t going to live up to the original version of this movie. I’ve never read the book, (*goes over to Goodreads to add book to long tbr list*) but I love the original movie. It felt like a realistic Twilight without the love triangle and werewolves. The book wasn’t in the YA genre, so there was no pressure to make this “teenage” appropriate. I was happy that the author didn’t avoid death, or hard situations, as well as not killing them for any good reason. I might not always like realistic scenes, (like someone dying or a family falling on hard times) but I appreciate the “fictional honesty”. Anyway, I hope Let Me In lives up to the story, especially since I’m fond of young actress Chloë Grace Moretz (Hit-girl). We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...