Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Firleight Review


Description: With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him; even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.

My Thoughts: I’m thankful to the author for writing this book, but I’m also thankful to Suzanne Collins, because if not for her, I wouldn’t have gotten to this till a few weeks (or months) later. This was my post Mockingjay book, this meant that I had high expectations in the sense that I needed Firelight to make me happy which means it couldn’t suck. Turns out, it was just what I needed. Thanks to movies like Dragonheart, I already knew I liked dragons, or draki, so I knew I’d like Firelight as long as the story was good.

The idea of draki having powers and being able to shift between dragon and human form were both awesome additions to what I thought about when I imagined what dragons could do. I have to admit that this did remind me of Twilight, (a little) but only in positive ways. There was no brooding male characters (not a lot anyway), or a female that was always getting in trouble because she was helpless. Firelight is quite the opposite in those aspects.

What I’m talking about is the fact that Will and Jacinda shouldn’t be together, but their attracted to each other anyway. My favorite part was the mystery behind Jacinda’s pride, the pride’s history, and why there is an immediate attraction between Jacinda and Will that goes beyond their emotions. I’m also very interested in learning more about Cassian, I think there’s more to him than is portrayed by Jacinda. All these things, plus The Last of the Mohicans-esque ending have me excited for the 2nd book in the Firelight series. Till then I’ll just stalk (jk) Sophie Jordan on twitter and continue to look for updates on the 2nd book as well as the Firelight movie (yay!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...