Thursday, November 3, 2011

Au Revoir Crazy European Chick review

Description: Perry Stormaire is a normal high school senior– he is busy applying to college and rehearsing with his band –until he agrees to go to the prom with the Lithuanian exchange student who is staying with his family. It turns out that Gobi Zaksauskas is not the mousy teenager that she seems but rather an attractive, confident trained assassin. Instead of going to the prom, Perry finds himself on a wild ride through the streets of New York City as Gobi commandeers the Jaguar his father lent him for the prom in order to take out her targets. Perry learns a lot about himself – and ends up with some amazing material for his college application essays.

My thoughts: These kinds of descriptions always tempt me. Having one-night adventures, gorgeous killers, and a person in the middle of all of it who seems out of place. These types of book summaries always raise my expectations for the book. And I often end up being disappointed once I actually get a copy of the book. But I always give it a try, because I’m willing to go through four and five bad or just okay books so I can get to that one book that meets my expectations.
Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick was that one book for me. It was nice and quick, giving me adventure, suspense, and comedy. From car chases to family dysfunction, this book was SO fun. And the idea to have every chapter represent an answer to a different college application question was very clever!
With most of this story taking place in one night, you don’t get to know much about any of the characters except for the main ones, Gobi and Perry. But that was enough for me. Gobi is a bad chick. And not just because she can take care of herself in a fight, but also because she has this really bad past, but she doesn’t let it (or anything in the present) change her goals. This girl is focused.
And Perry, who is immediately a likeable character, gets even better as the pages pass. There’s a lot of character development in just a few hours. Things like character development and the horrendous part of Gobi’s past along with Perry’s relationship with his dad makes this book deeper than it seems at first. I’m pretty sure this is a standalone, and although I’d like to see what’s happening with these two characters, I’m just hoping this author has another “it book” for me (in the near future).
Addition note: The movie rights to the book have been sold to Paramount! I’m extremely excited for this and hope they stick to the main ideas of the books… if they ever actually make the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...