Friday, July 2, 2010

Ballad Review



Description: In this mesmerizing sequel to Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception, music prodigy James Morgan and his best friend, Deirdre, join a private conservatory for musicians. James' musical talent attracts Nuala, a soul-snatching faerie muse who fosters and feeds on the creative energies of exceptional humans until they die. Composing beautiful music together unexpectedly leads to mutual admiration and love. Haunted by fiery visions of death, James realizes that Deirdre and Nuala are being hunted by the Fey and plunges into a soul-scorching battle with the Queen of the Fey to save their lives.


My Thoughts: I was very cautious about starting Ballad. Lament was ok, but I didn’t like it as much as I wanted to. When I won Ballad, I decided I would give it a try because my favorite parts about Lament had something to do with James. I also really wanted to like Maggie Stiefvater’s writing.

I’m glad I read Ballad because I loved it! Although I could never call any book perfect, I have no complaints about this book (no big ones at least). It was everything I’d hoped Lament would be.
Dark (funny) sarcastic characters always attract so it made sense that I’d fall hard for him. I hated Dee in this book (you’ll see if (I mean when) you read Ballad). I’m very fond of the new characters, including Nuala, and a teacher at Thorking-Ash school of music.

The story was clear this time. In Lament I was sort of lost in certain scenes; it was confusing when it came to figuring out what was happening with the characters in relations to the big problem in the story. Everything flowed; it never felt awkward to me, like if the author had forced scenes together to get to the middle or end of the story. I am now in love with Maggie’s writing, and hope to read more of her books very soon (as in Shiver).

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! I've read so many good things about Lament and Ballad. And your review is one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...