Friday, April 30, 2010

The Iron King Review

Synopsis: Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.

My Thoughts:
Wow! I’m glad I got to read this book last week. I had paper after paper and exam after exam but The Iron King allowed me to take short breaks and be a part of another world. It’s just the first book in the series and it is already one of my favorite faerie books, alongside the Wicked Lovely series. I loved all of the main characters. Meghan was refreshing, she seemed more realistic instead of just being a regular girl who doesn’t just pine for a boy, but lets the guy treat her like dirt and still falls in love with them after ten seconds without knowing anything about the boy, or at least how the guy feels about them.

Ash is a deadly prince after my heart. It’s true that he says something in regards to having to kill Meghan for his court a couple of times in the book (it sounds weird defending this) but the strange thing about it is that he isn’t being mean or purposely cruel, he’s just being brutally honest. It was nice to see different sides of him throughout the book, though I must say that both sides had loads of charm.

After taking a Shakespeare class, I was excited to see that Puck was in the book along with King Oberon and Queen Titania (although I still picture them as the actors of the movie with Michelle Pfeiffer and Rupert Everett). He was the jokester throughout the book but you could see glimpses of a more “sober” side that I’m anxious to see more of in The Iron Daughter (yay!). I even liked Ethan, Meghan’s little brother who acts older than his age and left me impressed with his personality even though he wasn’t in a lot of the book. Last but not least, I loved Grimalkin!! With similar qualities found in the Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland, it’s no wonder I fell in love with this laid back sarcastic cat (and I know he cares for Meghan, despite how he acts). I also liked the plot of the book and how our world effects what happens in the faerie world with our imagination and beliefs (or unbelief and lack of imagination). This is a great book that everyone should partake in and enjoy…. So go get it!….. It’s kind of late so you might want to pick it up tomorrow... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...