Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dragon House Review



Synopsis

Set in modern-day Vietnam, DRAGON HOUSE tells the tale of Iris and Noah-two Americans, who, as a way of healing their own painful pasts, open a center to house and educate Vietnamese street children. Irish and Noah find themselves reborn in an exotic land filled with corruption and chaos, sacrifice and beauty. Inspired by the street children she meets, Iris walks in the footsteps of her father, a man whom Vietnam both shattered and saved. Meanwhile, Noah slowly rediscovers himself through the eyes of an unexpected companion. Resounding with the powerful themes of suffering, sacrifice, friendship, and love, DRAGON HOUSE brings together East and West, war and peace; and celebrates the resilience of the human spirit.

My Thoughts:

Dragon House was a touching book. This was the second book I’ve read since I started my blog that wasn’t in the genre I was use to reading and enjoying. I had to adjust to the fact that there weren't any vampires falling in love with their prey or fallen angels who found a way to be appealing while being on the edge of almost seeming evil. It wasn’t till I read this book that I was reminded that I’m either attracted to novels that have a lot of action or have an important message to convey. This book definitely had a message to convey from orphans using a game to earn them money to a man dealing with an internal war after the physical one . I appreciated the way Shors weaved this story because I have found in the past that you can get a point across better when you can make things interesting. There was some romance, which I always love {:)}The people in the story even inspired me. Seeing what the characters were going through throughout the book made me realize how much I should appreciate things I’ve been given which includes things I take for granted. If you like these kinds of stories and don’t mind feeling like your spoiled compared to some of the people in this book, this is a good novel to read. I give this a B+.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...