Monday, April 4, 2011

Darkness Becomes Her review

Description: Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is. Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.
She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.


My thoughts: I love book descriptions like this one (most of the time). They tell you enough to make you want to know more about the book. That technique can lead to a negative or positive outcome. Fortunately in this case it was the latter because this book was freaking awesome!

It was fast paced from the very beginning, starting with a scene most authors would have waited till a few chapters in to present. But it works for this story. It also steers clear of a lot of background info. that was better being told throughout the story instead of just the beginning anyway.

The characters were quirky but easy to love. Other than Ari and a couple other characters, my favorite people in the story were only in the book for a few scenes or chapters. They were just all so kickass that it didn’t matter how long they were in the book! The world of New 2 (formerly New Orleans) was also impressive. With powerful families and a distinctive culture, I could see why Ari was so charmed by it.

Something I really loved about this book was the Greek mythology. The description doesn't tell you it's there, but most reviews do, so I knew it was there even if I didn't know how much would be included.

Since this book involves mythology, I took a crack at trying to find out what made Ari so "special". Technically I did figure out what was unique about her early on, but the author wrote the story in such a way that I was still unsure up until a couple chapters before the “revealing point”. And even though I already knew what she was, I was still amazed by the way it was brought out and how it affected Ari and everyone around her.

Darkness Becomes Her had an epic feel to it, or the beginnings of it. Every story has to have a problem the main characters need to solve. But some stories, supernatural ones in this case have a problem that is just important to the main characters and a few other people. And the problem seems like it could be solved in one book rather than a whole series. In Darkness Becomes Her, Ari is a part of a larger problem, affecting the people around her as well as herself and even her ancestors. This was the first epic type book I’ve read in a while. I was just telling my mom a few days before I started this book that I missed reading epic stories, so this book came at the perfect time!

Random but somewhat related comment: In honor of the setting of Darkness Becomes Her, I got the voodoo pork sandwich (taste so good!) at one of my favorite restaurants in my hometown (told you it was random). :)

2 comments:

  1. have this on hold at the library. Nice to see it was a good book. Looking forward to reading it! thx for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...