Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Need Review


Synopsis:
Zara White suspects a freaky guy is semi-stalking her. She memorizes phobias and chants them when she's nervous. And, okay, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But moving to a shivery Maine town to stay with her grandmother is supposed to be the perfect fix -- so her mom says.
Except, this new plan of getting away to help Zara stay sane? Yeah, not working. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's imagination. He's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right -- not human -- in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs are pointing to Zara.
My Thoughts:
I've read too many reviews already comparing Need to Twilight. Other than a mysterious tone that Twilight gives you in the beginning of the books, and Needs' mysterious tone that continues throughout the book, I really didn't see the comparison regarding the two stories.
I have to admit that there were a couple of chapters that were kind of rough for me. Until around pg. 26-30, there seemed to be pieces of information that were missing, as if all the characters knew something that I was supposed to know too but didn't. Also, there were at least two times in the book where something was revealed to the main characters that they didn't know, they would react realistically for a few minutes, then seemed to know too much about what was just revealed to them. Then there was another tiny annoyance for me around the end of the book, something was revealed about two characters. It made sense what was revealed about them but not the way it was revealed. it was an as-a-matter-of-fact type reveal, like it wasn't anything special. I was also annoyed a little bit by the way the characters would talk sometimes, like -

"You're my best friend"

"Really?"

"Yes!"

"Oh My God, I think I'm going to cry"

"Don't cry" 'hug'

OK....those exact words aren't in there but some conversations sounded like that. It's probably annoying because I know people who speak like that ALL the time so when I saw this type of Convo, I was reminded of them.

Those 2-3 little problems weren't too bad overall because the story was still good and I loved the characters, especially Nick. He was sweet and...manly at the same time. Actually, I really liked all the males in the novel. I think the author did a good job at developing strong male characters.

And after about pg. 30 I was totally into the story. I had no idea where the book was going to end up which was exciting, because a lot of times when I read a novel, I have some idea on how the main characters are going to solve the major problem of the story or how the book is going to end. I was surprised at the ending of the book and am excited about Captivate. Overall it was a cool & semi-mysterious book.

Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...