Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pride And Prejudice And Zombies review + Contest details

Description: "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains."

So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.

What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead.

Can she vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.


My thoughts: Before I say what I did like about this book, I have to admit how hard it was to get into this book. It was clever from the first chapter, but that wasn’t enough because this type of language (or dialogue. Not sure what the right word is) isn’t the easiest to read. It’s not that I didn’t understand what they were saying, it’s just that initially, I couldn’t stand HOW they were speaking. This caused me not to care how fierce Elizabeth was, or how interesting her relationship was becoming with Mr. Darcy. I wanted to finish this book but I felt like it would take all year, seeing as how I couldn’t get through but two or three chapters without needing to stop.

Fortunately, thanks to what I would call a miracle, the characters and their relationships with each other were so lovable that my previous problems didn’t matter. I still didn’t like the language but it didn’t matter. This book (or at least the second half for me) was extremely entertaining. I haven’t read Pride and Prejudice (don’t shoot me) but I’ve heard that the actual story minus the zombies is the same as the original story.
My favorite part about this book is how I came to really like Mr. Darcy even though I initially thought I never would. At first I wanted Elizabeth to stay as far away as she possibly could from him because I thought he was a jerk. But once some things were revealed about him and he started to show growth, I found myself falling for him too.

Although Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy were my favorite things about this book, there were also other (smaller) situations that made me like this book. Like the fact that all of Elizabeth’s sisters could slay zombies, or that the famous zombie killer, Lady Catherine de Bourgh was a huge jerk whose attitude needed to be taken down a notch (by Elizabeth).

This book started off bad for me (because of my own preferences), but it finished good. Hopefully the prequel and sequel to this book will end up good too!!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies details:
I've decided to give away a copy of P&P and Zombies, starting tomorrow.
The only requirement is that you fill out the form I'll post early tomorrow with your email address and name.
There will be extra points given if you become a blog follower or promote the contest.
Look for a contest post tomorrow morning!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...