Monday, January 2, 2012

Top Ten Books of 2011


This was dark and twisted, and had a huge Greek mythology theme 
(which, for me is the exact equation that equals a satisfied reader). It kind of reminded me of the 
Wicked Lovely series which I wasn't quite sure why but Melissa Marr herself seems to really like this 
series. If I had to pick baddass book of the year, this would be it.


I know badass book has been taken, but not BA character. For this, Allison 
Hewitt takes the cake. And it's even better because there aren't any 
supernatural powers,just a sarcastic girl and her ax.

 I'd waited so long to read this, then it turned out to be one of the best books of the year
(esp. because of the last few pages!)

 
This just came out of nowhere! I thought it would be a good book, but I was so surprised 
by just how good it really was. There's a great plot that never had time to get slow, side characters 
that stole my heart faster than either of the main characters, and main characters that grew in leaps
and bounds to the point that it’s like they’re graduating from something and you’re sitting there 
saying "that's my baby!"
 
 What I got out of this book is everything I'd hoped for, which is saying a lot. 
Because really, how many books have met ALL of your expectations?
 
This is a common phrase that gets used too much, but I've really never read anything like this. 
Who writes a story about a race with killer horses, adds a guy who is sometimes standoffish 
(and not always relatable) and a girl who isn't the standard mixture of adorable and naïve? How 
did Maggie do the abnormal and come out with a book that was better than just about anything 
I read in 2011? 
The writing was brilliant.  
The world was unbelievable.  
And the characters were fantastic.  
That is all. 
So many things in this book impressed me. Mentioning God to the point that he’s one of the most 
important parts of the book without making things uncomfortable or preachy was amazing. Then 
there's the main character, who is apart of one of the best transitional changes I've ever read. She 
goes places, and she also changes physically and mentally. And these are the things that normally 
don't always happen in a series, let alone the first book.  
Great dystopian. 
I don't even know how to explain what made this book so great. It was heartbreaking  and honest. 
And that’s basically the only way I could explain it.
 

It was better than the first one (and I really liked the first one). 
It's also simultaneously unique and creative while still reminding me of 
Ocean's Eleven. Even though in this case the leader is a female. Plus, if 
anybody utters the words "we need a team" (or something similar, they already 
have me sold!

Honorable mentions:
It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2) by Jenny Han
Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber
The Shattering by Karen Healey
Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby 
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Clarity by Kim Harrington
Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens
Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout 

3 comments:

  1. I still need to read Uncommon Criminals. I read the first one and loved it, so I'm glad to hear that it's better than the first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished The Scorpio Races after I put up my list - and I really regret it. Like you said - it was such a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya: I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...