Saturday, January 21, 2012

Everneath review

Description: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...



My thoughts: It wasn't a big surprise that I liked Everneath so much. Every review I read about this book mentioned a lot of great things to look forward to. And now that I’ve read it, I have no objections regarding those great things. It's not just because of the characters, which are compelling, or the writing, which fits the story so well. What gave me the greatest satisfaction was the plot and the mythology involved in it.

At this point, there are many YA stories that include (Greek) mythology. So it's becoming difficult to do mythological retellings without seeming old and repetitive. But Everneath thrives in seeming familiar while still being original. We get the familiar with the Hades/Persephone and Orpheus/Eurydice (and even Isis/Osiris) stories, but with a twist. Although Everneath (the place) seems similar to the underworld, it's different. And Everneath, along with other aspects of this book was different enough that they held my interest, because I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know what would be different from the way I normally imagine the underworld, or even what would change in the mythical stories that were used by the main characters to try and figure out how to change Nikki's future. But thankfully, these changes were refreshing and intriguing.
And can I just say that I love Jack! He just really loves this girl, which is why I want them
to have a happy ending sooo bad. On top of loving Jack, I really like Nikki. It's weird but 
she has a way of being sad without ever making me feel depressed when reading Everneath
I just want her life to get better.

And as far as the ending, it's not a cliffhanger, but it ends in a way that has me wondering what in the world Nikki's going to do to solve her new (and some old) problems. I have no clue what she's going to do, but I can't wait to find out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...