Thursday, September 29, 2011

Eve review

Description: The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.


My thoughts: When I first started Eve I didn't quite experience the feelings that I believed the story was trying to evoke. Funny things happened, sad ones, frightening ones, yet I wasn't affected. Three chapters in and it was just ok. 5 chapters in and it was interesting. 10 chapters and it was entertaining. It went like this until the end. After 15 chapters it was a mixture of things. It was funny, sad, heart wrenching, and sweet. Each new part gave me a new excitement for the book and made me think of the past chapters in a different (and better) light.

 It's weird to say that the tragedy of the book was the main reason I became so hooked to this story. It's hard to pinpoint why, but there's something about tragedy that almost always makes a story seem more real. I think is because we’re made to feel empathy, or sympathy, and sometimes even pity. We've all experience some kind of happiness. But no one ever had to feel sympathetic for someone who was feeling happy. And I think it affected me more (in some ways) than just some cute little story with a happy ending because I had to read about these character's harsh experiences.  

When Eve talked about the last time she saw here mother, Arden explaining what happened to her parents, or the little boys recalling how they became orphans.  It was hard not to feel strong emotions when reading Eve.  

But there was also happiness. And love, which was the main aspect of the story.  The message that through tragedy and a broken society (or anything else that’s negative), love is the only thing that can keep you going. And not necessarily every character embodied that idea, some lived on hate. But in general, for a person not to turn to darkness or "go off the beaten path" there needed to be love. 

As far as the actual plot, I didn't expect so many things to happen! There were multiple points where I was surprised that the author decided to go a different route with the story.  And the ending! I did not expect that at all. And I don't know if the next book will pick up where the main characters left off, but I hope they do. This book and especially the second half was so good, so I can't wait for the next installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...