Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Demon's Lexicon Review


Description: Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole -- a charm that keeps her alive -- and they want it badly enough to kill again.
Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is desperate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.
Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.

This is the Demon's Lexicon. Turn the page

My Thoughts: This book isn’t what I expected when I read the description and even the first chapter when the book was first released. I thought Nick would be another bad boy and his brother would be another good guy. That the sister that came to them for help would like Nick, while his brother would like her. Most of what I expected did happen, but with a twist. The author added enough originality to what I thought would be stereotypical characters and therefore allowed me to enjoy this book and look forward to reading the whole series.
I have to admit that for most of the book -- ignoring a handful of sentimental scenes – I despised Nick and couldn’t understand why anyone would like him. Everything made since at the end, but until then, I wanted to strangle him at times. As far as Nick’s brother Alan, I didn’t like all of his qualities, but I was happy that he was kind and gentle, but also had a back bone. There’s also something distinctly interesting about every character, even the ones you wouldn’t automatically count as important. My favorite part of this book was the importance of love, even Nick who can be extremely savage in his thoughts was an example of how strong love is and can be.

The characters along with the world that the author created were the perfect combination to have me forgetting to do anything but read for those couple of days I needed to finish it. I can’t remember, but I’m sure I ate my meals with one hand that week, and kept the lamp lights on until the early morning.

Now that I’ve read the first book, I know how to prepare for The Demon’s Covenant. I have to make sure I’ve turned in all my research papers and projects before I start it, unless I’m prepared to make up those 1 or 2 days I took to do nothing but read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...